Monday, December 14, 2009

His plan...

As you all know I was scheduled for an amnio on Thursday Dec. 3rd and if the test came back that Elijah's lungs were mature then I would be induced that day. On Thursday Dec. 3rd I woke up at 4:30 in the morning with a strong contraction (same time I woke up with contractions with Caleb). I had been having them all week but they had become stronger and closer together. I got up and started packing, getting ready, etc. At 7:00 I called the dr. and told her what was going on and she told us to come straight to the hospital. When we got there they checked me and I was 3 cm dilated. We missed our amnio appt. as they monitored us for hours and finally around 11:30 decided that I may not dilate anymore and we should do the amnio anyway. Had the amnio at 12:30...by 1:00 I was dilated to 4 cm and they decided I was having the baby regardless of the amnio. By 5:00 I was progressing and about 5 cm. We got the amnio back that Elijah's lungs were not mature..they wanted the test to be 55 and he was 37. 7:00..dilated 7cm...8:00 got epidural (that I requested at 5 cm, they were super busy). I got a little pitocin...around 10:30 started to push and by 10:46 Elijah was born. The NICU team was in the room to take him if his lungs were not doing well. They checked him and there was no need..his lungs were great! Only issue he had was low blood sugar. What a great labor and delivery!

That's the story of Elijah's arrival. Leading up to that day we had no idea how everything would play out. We prayed and asked others to pray that Elijah's lungs would be ready and I would be induced and he could be born on Dec. 3rd. I was determined that I was not going to leave our house ready to bring home a baby and come back without one. I knew that on that day if he was not born I couldn't handle coming home again without my son. I was so scared that would happen!
Here's the thing...God didn't answer that prayer...he didn't answer the prayer that I prayed and had everyone else pray that Elijah's lungs would be developed and I could be induced that day. No he didn't because God had such a BIGGER plan for Elijah's arrival...a much BETTER plan than we could have asked for or imagined. I went into labor on my own on the day that we were expecting to have him. How crazy is that? People would say that is "ironic" I say it was God's plan! He knew that Elijah would come that day, He knew that my labor would progress quickly and I would have a great delivery. He also knew that Elijah's lungs were ready despite the fact that the amnio came back saying they weren't. What an AWESOME God we serve.

Our plans are not His plans. God knows what we need and what is best for us. Since I got pregnant with Caleb I have known that I would want to breastfeed. I see it as such an awesome bond between a mother and child. I was so excited and ready to breastfeed Elijah. Josh and I went to a class and I read what I could to prepare. What I didn't prepare for were all the things that have happened since he was born. He got a bottle of formula in the nursery because his blood sugar was so low they told us if it didn't come up they would put him in the NICU. He had several more bottles while we were there to keep his levels up to go home. We tried and tried to get him to latch on but he has had no part of it. I decided to just pump and that hasn't worked out either...timing, infection, pain etc etc. I have prayed and prayed and cried about it and asked God what I should do and He has given me peace about this...His plan is perfect. Maybe God knows that I can't handle the demands of breastfeeding. I am not very good with schedules and Josh and I are always on the go. Maybe he knows that Elijah and I would be a lot less stressed out if I didn't breastfeed. I just want to enjoy my baby! I know lots of mommies who have formula fed their babies and they are perfectly healthy. I am still trying to decide but I know that God will give me peace about what will work for us.

All this to say...in our minds we think we know what is best. We envision the perfect way that things will work out and if they don't we get upset because it wasn't what we were expecting. We pray specifically for things because we think they are what would be best for us if we got them. We prayed for mature lungs and an induction. God blessed us with a wonderful delivery but not in the way that we had asked for. I envisioned that things would be perfect after bringing Elijah home..how could they not be? I would breastfeed, there would be no problems. These first days have definetly been challenging and it's been awesome to have him home with us but it hasn't been in the way that I had envisioned. God challenges us and our faith in Him constantly. He still has His plan and though we may be disappointed that things didn't work out the way we wanted His plan is still perfect.

Elijah is a picture of perfection to us though!! We sit and stare at him in awe of what God has blessed us with. I can't explain the joy he has brought to us in the past 10 days...it's just unbelievable. He looks a lot like Caleb and reminds me of him. In some ways it's hard but in other ways I find rest that I will be able to see Caleb through him as he grows.
I have many more emotions of Elijah's birth and my grief for Caleb. It's overwhelming to have sorrow and joy in your heart at the exact same time. That will have to be in a later post though...I am tired and it's almost time for this precious baby to eat again :)

We had his first picture session for his newborn pictures today. Our photographer, Teresa, was also one of my nurses when we had Caleb and was there when I had Elijah. She took a few pics in the hospital and posted them on her blog: http://www.teresavickery.com/blog/. She has an amazing gift and I can't wait to share his pics. Here are a few more from this past week:
Love,
Miranda















**Teresa posted some pictures from our session today so when you go to her blog you will also get to see those too. They are AMAZING and we are so excited. She is the best!!!**

6 comments:

  1. What an amazing testament to God's provision for your family. I love that He chose to bring Elijah into this world on his own! If you are still on the fence about breastfeeding and just want someone who has recently been through it, please give me a call. Isabel and I (and even Colin too) struggled for 6 weeks with lots of tears but she is now 8 months old and still nursing. It has been an amazing blessing and well worth the early struggles. If you decide not to, that is great too! Like you said, there are tons of perfectly healthy babies that weren't breastfed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great birth story, Miranda! I will pray that God may bless you with breastfeeding. I too want to experience EVERYTHING. I think it's only natural to feel that way after we've waited so long! I LOVE the pictures of Elijah on your photographers site. What a beautiful, perfect gift! Much love and prayers! Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful story. I am just aching to see him again! He's gorgeous. I showed Chris these pictures last night and he laughed and said, 'That's one sleepy little boy!' I was like, 'Um, sweetie, that's what newborns do!'

    I'm so sorry that things have been hard and such a struggle. You know I wish like you that we could just have the easy way out of things since we've been through so much. But I know you wouldn't have this any other way. He's home with you... what a wonderful and precious thing.
    I'm praying that you'll find peace and acceptance in how you feed him. There are SO many emotions that go with breastfeeding that we have that most people don't understand.

    love you girl!
    ebe

    p.s. I'm coming over soon, okay???

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw your pictures from today on Teresa's blog. oh my goodness.
    They are precious. You guys are a beautiful family.
    There's this face that Elijah makes in some of the pictures and he looks just like his big brother. simply precious.

    love,
    ebe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love the pictures! I wasn't able to breastfeed very long. Only like two weeks and it was really difficult the whole time. I thought that it would be such a sweet bonding experiance also and it ended up being just really hard for us. (all three of us) We decided that a bottle was just a better choice at the time. It wasn't our plan either but the best thing. One great thing that came from it was that Brent was able to share in the feedings and able to form that bond with Carson. It all comes out in the wash, honey. That baby is so precious and so special that those things just seems so small when I see how wonderful he is and how well he is doing. You and Josh are such great parents and we are so glad to be able to share in the time with you both. I love you, girl!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miranda -
    I just saw your comment on Ebe's blog and had to come check you out b/c you mentioned your son in Heaven is Caleb. Then I saw you just had Elijah - Blessings! I have an Elijah (3.5) and am pregnant with Caleb (due to be induced in 17 days) after losing Felicity Faith Oct. '08. I also have Ethan (7).

    Anyway, just got a little caught up with your story (and Caleb's and Elijah's). I'm sure that Elijah is an amazing gift from God - he sure is a cute little man! (My Elijah was 9,3 at birth!)

    I also wanted to mention that if you're still interested in breastfeeding you should check out La Leche League (llli.org). My mom in the early 70s was told she couldn't breastfeed my brother and was devastated, but after seven weeks of bottle feeding (and her milk drying up completely), she was able to relactate with the help of a LLL leader and go on to breastfeed my brother for a year with no more formula. I realize that this time might be stressful for you with so much going on, but I had to say something, knowing that.

    Blessings,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete